Art Holiday Accommodation in SW France Details

Tuesday 18 August 2009

THE THINGS THAT HAPPEN WHILE CLEANING BRUSHES


My studio at La Petite Galerie is on the third floor of our house which was built in the 12th century - at the same time that the wonderful church of St Jean-Baptiste was started in the middle of the village.
There is a great view of this gothic marvel from my studio window, and I've painted it many times.
When we first moved into Mézin about ten years ago, when I was working on a painting on canvas, for some unaccountable reason I started cleaning some excess blue paint off my brush onto the door leading from the top landing into my studio. Then when I'd finished with another colour, yelllow ochre, that went onto the door too. Then something caught my fancy in what was a bit of a mess on the wooden panel. Luckily I was able to turn it into a coloured sketch of St Jean-Baptiste. (Lynne still thinks it's a bit of a mess, but I've grown to quite like it - and it certainly avoided a wanton waste of paint).
You can see other versions of the church in Mézin by clicking on the link below. Then go to "French Paintings."
rayjohnstone.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment